1. Because there is now opposition in many locations unlike in previous years, ballot boxes could not have been stuffed in favour of whichever party was the local favorite. (Not everywhere of course)
2. INEC did well by having the ballot papers signed and stamped by the Presiding Officers at the venues. This did lead to increased delays but it would have made it a little more difficult to re-import any stolen ballot papers. Continue reading
I have decided to be an Active Citizen of Nigeria and to help the people around me become more active. I strongly believe that a democracy can only progress if the majority of the people play their part. This has the potential to take absolute power and impunity away from people who ordinarily should be public servants.
By being actively involved in the management of our country, we can
- Provide assistance to any sincere professionals in public service that have something to offer
- Deter sluggards in public service by publicizing the performance/impact (or lack thereof) of all sectors
- Help other citizens recognize that we can make an impact by providing input to public policy
Active Citizenship is a form of literacy (1) : coming to grips with what happens in public life, developing knowledge, understanding, critical thinking and independent judgement of local, national, European, global levels. It implies action and empowerment, i.e. acquiring knowledge, skills and attitudes, being able and willing to use them, make decisions, take action individually and collectively.
We can identify some key characteristics of Active Citizenship: Continue reading